#speakthesecret

The hardest part of my struggle with postpartum OCD was all the obtrusive thoughts. The best way for me to describe it was when you get a commercial ingle stuck in your head and it just keeps popping up over and over

. I struggled with these because I had never heard anyone talk about having thoughts like these. I was constantly worried about my daughter being harmed by accident, other people, or even myself. I was worried I wanted to harm or would harm her. I gave these thoughts too much power over me.

I recently I stumbled across the #speakthesecret campaign. It was started by the Postpartum Stress Center to help break the stigma of these secret thoughts. Almost every thought I had was one there submitted by another woman. Even though I have been better for a while now, it was such an amazing feeling to see I was not alone.

Be aware that while these can be used to help others understand what you’re feeling, and help you feel not so alone, they could bring up a lot of feelings. If you’re feeling especially vulnerable or questioning whether they would be good for you to look through, I would suggest waiting and talking to your therapist or support system about it first, and if you decide to have someone you trust and can talk to look at these with you.

The Secrets Women Keep #speakthesecret

Comments

1. betsy says:

Wow— I’ve actually been there. Never heard of the campaign, interesting

2. samantha says:

Thanks for sharing. In our society it can be hard to tell people that you are suffering from mental disorders. These conditions are not well publicized, and most people are ignorant about them. Thank you for sharing part of your story and getting the word out.

1. admin says:

Thank you. I hope to share my story in full one day soon.

3. Stefanie says:

This is such a good campaign. You never know what other ppl are dealing with. When you finally say it out loud, you realize that there are so many other people going through the same thing as you. That’s how communities are built. Thanks for sharing. Glad you’re better. 🙂

1. admin says:

It is a great way to build a community, and I hope brak down the stigma that comes with these mental health issues.

4. lex says:

Thank you for sharing this, I have never heard of it before!

5. magen says:

I feel like so many people just don’t understand this and are scared by it.

1. admin says:

Yes, me too. This is 100% what made my postpartum anxiety get so bad. I was having all these thoughts and they scared me so then I started obsessing over the thoughts, and it just kept growing. I think that is why it is so important to make things like this visible, and to erase the stigma.

6. anjana says:

Thanks for sharing. I have never heard of it before but this is such a wonderful campaign